Owning a gun for shooting or hunting ventures requires proper documentation, legal paperwork, and compliance with local laws. However, when it comes to 80% lower, there is a lot of confusion concerning laws and legal documentation. Different states have different laws, making it tricky for someone looking to buy an 80% lower receiver. If you are interested in buying firearms, visit https://www.80percentarms.com/glock-80-lower/ to learn more about Glock 80 lowers. If it’s your first time buying an 80% lower, but you don’t know about the laws, the following information is for you.

Federal Firearms License

All gun owners and manufacturers must have a Federal-Firearm License (FFL) to use and sell any weapon. The license is issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF)and is necessary to own a gun in America legally. The license is issued based on unique serial number particular to a gun, and you might have to send the firearm to the agency for checking and verification purposes.

80% Lowers, and FFL

An 80% lower is not classified as a weapon by the ATF and, as such, doesn’t require an FFL. Since the equipment doesn’t have a serial number or working parts to make it a firearm, the ATF considers it a piece of aluminum. This is why they are called 80% lowers, since the remaining 20% is what covers this piece of metal into a firearm. However, this is where the simplicity of the law ends. You will need an FFL in states where 80% lower is legal only if you sell it after milling or making holes. If it’s for personal use, you don’t require a license.

See also  Best Places to Buy Xiaomi 11T Pro in Singapore

States Where FFL is Required

Although owning and completing an 80% lower is legal in most states, there are some states in which this equipment is illegal or restricted and requires an FFL. Following is a complete list of these states;

  1. California
  2. Connecticut
  3. New Jersey
  4. New York
  5. Washington D.C.
  6. Hawaii
  7. Rhode Island

It is important to note here that it’s legal to own an 80% lower in some states, like in California. However, it becomes illegal if you finish the firearm and start using it. You will have to send a lower receiver to ATF for an FFL license in that scenario.

Stripped Lower Receiver

This receiver is used to make AR-15 rifles, and since the manufacturer engraves it, the component needs an FFL before you buy it. Additionally, stripped lower is where the trigger and lower parts of a rifle are attached; therefore, it’s considered a firearm by ATF and requires proper documentation to make it legal.

When is an FFL Necessary

Despite the relaxed laws regarding 80% lowers, once it is completed and converted into a functioning firearm, an FFL is necessary then. Although some states don’t require it, the license can save you from a lot of trouble if the weapon is stolen or misused.

80% lower is purely made for gun owners to enjoy their hobby. However, you must observe local laws to enjoy the activity thoroughly without any inconvenience. Read the above information beforehand to avoid harmful interactions with local law enforcement.